From: Matt Davies (dmatt001_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-14 23:46:21

Hi Guys,

So far I am very happy with uBLAS. Thanks.

I noticed some minor duplication in vector.hpp so using cut & paste and
a little inventiveness I have refactored scalar_vector, unit_vector and
zero_vector into a single function_vector that takes a single
vector_index_functor as its template argument. The benefits of this
refactorisation is that users can further extend with instances of
analytical functions / interpolants / whatever into a vector and it
will use the uBLAS optimisations and constructs as appropriate. I have
already been using it and *really* find it useful where I don't want to
use excessive memory or less efficient constructs when calculating
difference norms and/or resolving discretisations. It also saves a
reasonable amount of duplication in vector.hpp.

Furthermore, I suspect that it might not be an order of complexity
further to create a function_matrix too based on the same ideas and for
the same benefits.

Is anyone interested in my work on this? I am guessing that the
original maintainers probably have already thought of this as a lot of
their work is still over my head. If anyone is interested and would
like to guide and review my efforts (needed as this would potentially
be my first open source contribution -- although small) I am happy to
do more. I am hoping that (as it is mostly a cut&paste and as my
original work closely copies the style of the rest of uBLAS) it would
be easy to assimilate quickly.

Matt

http://careers.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Careers
- 1,000's of jobs waiting online for you!