From: Jon Kalb (jonkalb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-15 15:25:58

In my opinion, and I think this is where Peter is coming from, if
throwing an exception is the right thing to do, then the situation is an
expected (if exceptional) case. In that situation, an assertion is not
appropriate.

In the situation that you outline above, it appears to me that you are
planning to use BOOST_ASSERT() in "shipping" (deployed?) code. If that
is your plan, you are not using BOOST_ASSERT() as an assertion, but as a
run-time check. There is certainly nothing wrong with runtime checks
that throw, but I think calling them "assertions" is inconsistent with
the traditional software engineering meaning of the word and a
disservice to others working with your code.