From: Thorsten Ottosen (nesotto_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-17 10:36:23

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
[nip]
> In general, it is recommended practice to always assert() preconditions in
> client code, instead of relying on in-library asserts. First, the library
is
> not required to have asserts, and second, the earlier you catch
precondition
> violations, the better (call stacks aren't universally available).

I don't get this. It's a poor library if it does not even check its own
preconditions
in eg. debug mode. Moreover, if you put the precondition in the library, you
take the burden away from the client; this is highly recommeded since it
encapsulates
commen code _one_ place, not O(n) places!

regards

Thorsten Ottsen, AAU