From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-17 11:02:36

At 08:11 AM 11/15/2002, Peter Dimov wrote:

>Providing direct support in a Boost core header effectively amounts to a
>"Boost seal of approval", i.e. "we at Boost think that this is a good
>programming practice and we want to encourage its use."

While that is both correct and important in the general case, situations do
come up where we get forced into supplying functionality that isn't a good
idea to use indiscriminately.

This seems to happen with libraries that have to interface with operating
system functionality. The filesystem library has several functions that
users should be leery of using, for example.

When we do get forced into supplying dangerous or otherwise poor-practice
functionality, we should document clearly that users need to beware, and
why they need to avoid the functionality if possible.

--Beman