From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-17 12:39:26

From: "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]>
On archive exception:

A short recap on the history of this:

1) I made orginally made archive_exception the simplest possible, it wasn't derived
from std::exception and and contain an enum of every exception type. It suited
my needs and I didn't feel that std::exception added anything.

2) well lots of complaints, some people didn't know about catch(...) syntax
and thought that it had to be derived from std::archive to have a catch all.
Others thought the embedded string was important.

3) I agreed with none of these things but what the hell, its easier to
accomodate than make a big deal on this insignificant point. Its obvious
that in retrospect I was wrong.

In general, libary code should make no presumptions as to the language
of the user. That means not embedded messages.

If you want a key in to a message table, use archive_exception::exception_code
that's what my intention was.

In my view std::exception is a mistake and should be removed from the standard.

Robert Ramey