From: Bohdan (warever_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-18 12:21:32

I believe that XML can contain any data. But i suspect that
XML garbaged with all serialization stuff will be
      1. unreadeable
      2. difficult to handle automatically (by other programs).

So i was thinking about simplifying Object <-> XML serialization.
  Recently there were talks about ditto & relational algebra libraries.
Also there was message about stl container on disk.
As i understand at least some of these libs require special kind
of serialization: Object <-> Relational tuple (object-relational mapping).
Having such mapping it would be easy to put Relational data to XML.
And in this case XML will be very readable.
I know this approach has some limitations and doesn't fit very well
to serialization library design, but IMHO Object <-> relational tuple
conversion would be very useful :
    1. store/retrieve object to/from relational tables (in-memory & disk
databases).
    2. now collection of object can be represented in GUI. Ex: vector< MyObject

       can be viewed and edited by user in some kind of grid.
    3. putting/getting relational data to/from XML is much simpler than
       object <-> XML serialization.

I think that this kind of serialization is completely different from
serialization framework written by Robert and possibly it can solve
XML serialization question.

thoughts ?

regards,
bohdan