From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-18 17:07:17

Is a reason that failing to claim copyright at least
may permit someone else to claim copyright
and then for them to restrict use of the software?

The Boost statement appears to me to be

1 a definitive claim of copyright,
2 and a definitive disclosure providing a bar to any attempts to patent.

But a legal view would be useful.

Are companies worried that someone will pop up and claim
enfringement of copyright and/or patent,
and demand money (perhaps with menaces!)?

If this is correct, then I believe Boost _should_ require
the license statement to reduce the risk, Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Paul

Paul A Bristow, Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
Mobile mailto:pabristow_at_[hidden]
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]