From: Joel Young (jdy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-19 10:00:59

IANAL...

Once something has been released into the public domain, then it is
free. I can use it to create a derivative work under my own copyright.
The derivative work can have very minimal changes such as simple
formatting. For examples look at any of the republished classic texts.
Note the copyrights on them. Also look at the GRASS project

Which was originally public domain from the Army and now exists in a GPL
version and in one or two commercial products.

http://grass.ibiblio.org/index2.html

Joel
--------