From: Kevin S. Van Horn (Kevin.VanHorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-19 12:27:00

Dave Steffen writes:

> > Are companies worried that someone will pop up and claim
> > enfringement of copyright and/or patent,
> > and demand money (perhaps with menaces!)?
>
> Yep. [...] We can't use _any_ outside code unless the licencing term
> _clearly_ allow us to do so without any IP entanglements.

So what's wrong with simply stating, "This code placed in the public
domain by its author, AUTHOR'S_NAME_HERE." Public domain means zero IP
entanglements.

As one example, the Purdue Compiler Construction Tool Set states, "PCCTS
is in the public domain. An individual or company may do whatever they wish
with source code distributed with PCCTS or the code generated by PCCTS,
including the incorporation of PCCTS, or its output, into commercial
software."