From: Dave Harris (brangdon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-19 16:31:35

> From: brangdon_at_[hidden] (Dave Harris)
>
> [snip]
> > ... but wouldn't produce very readable text files.
>
> readible text files are a minor convenience useful for debugging -
> nothing more.

OK.

I think this area, of archives for human consumption, could be valuable. I
have been wondering whether the newline() function should be made public
for this reason.

I have also been following the XML discussion with interest. Some
mechanism for bracketing whole objects, and labelling fields, would also
be useful for creating human-readable archives.

And human-writable ones, for that matter. In a previous life (using Java)
I have written unit tests that used XML strings to express "before" and
"after" states. I found having such tools around to be very valuable.

-- Dave Harris