From: Bjorn.Karlsson_at_[hidden]
Date: 2002-11-20 04:20:19

> From: Rene Rivera [mailto:grafik666_at_[hidden]]
> I think you did a limited search... only in the headers.
> There are many more
> files without (C). For example most "Jamfile"s don't have one.
>
> Could you post how you did the search... perhaps this is
> something for Beman
> to add to the list of checks for releases.

Yep, the search was limited (recursion started from the #include root); also
grepping Jamfiles, make files, html files, etceteras yields quite different
results. I'm not exactly sure where the "copyright line" should be drawn;
for instance, must every style sheet that's part of the distribution also
contain a copyright statement? When I ran some Boost library licenses
through our legal department, they were mainly interested in the copyright
in the source files, not the documentation. Ah well.

My search was simple and far from foolproof:

grep -i -L -r "copyright" * | grep -E -v
"(\.gif|\.jpe?g|\.png|\.scc|\.dat|\.obj|\.fig)|\.expected|\.dot|\.lib|\.cmd|
\.dll|\.mak|\.dsp" > missing_copyrights.dat

[for 1.29.0, the result is >1600 hits]
[On a clean distribution, some exclude patterns could be, well, excluded.]

Of course, using this grep, any file containing "copyright" will pass.

Bjorn