From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-20 06:31:35

> With run-time relational libray you also can do joins, projections ..
> but without compile-time type safety.

So, you have to use some kind of "variant"? I think this solution still
limits which types can be used. Am I wrong?

> I was thinking about some simple variant of rtl::table with predefined
> run-time tuple. In this case you can define structure of this tuple
> during run-time -> define schema of whole table. But i'm still not
> expert in rtl so i can be wrong.

I really don't see any way we can do any runtime schema definition in RTL.
All the interface is tailored for compile-time calculations and
verifications.

> Dynamic variant of rtl theoretically can avoid only in-memory limitations.
> You can inherit from base class (table,index,database,record, nested_table
...)
> and supply factory for your platform. Than you can have same interface
> for in_memory relational tables and for serious relational database table.

RTL is not limited with in-memory tables only. Different table
implementations can be defined and used together. Some of them can be
memory-based, others -- disk-based. It is just that all we have "in-stock"
right now, is in-memory, sorted std::vector-based table implementation.

And, of course, in-memory tables are serializable.

Regards,
Arkadiy