From: Bohdan (warever_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-20 14:06:38

"Vladimir Prus" <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Bohdan wrote:
> I'm not a database expert, so my knowledge may be just rusty. However, I never
> heard about composite types in relational tables, and never seen anything like
> that in MySQL. Looking at MySQL docs right now, I indeed see no mention of
> composite types. Could you clarify, preferably with concrete SQL syntax.

  You are right MySql isn't too feature-reach sql-server.
Mentioned features like nested-tables are rather extention than
norm for relational dabases. If you are interested in feature-reach sql-server
take a look at Oracle.

> Ah.. so here's example. The only problem with implementing this
> in the same way as for serialization, is that you'd need to
> define database structure before serializing. It's quite possible,
> if the 'reflection' layer is designed to support this use case.

i'n not sure if some general database structure is possible
in case of Robert serialization lib. User writes hes own
functions and he can write very cumbersome and unsymmetric
code (store/load). In my proposal serialization (or better ORM ) will be
completely symmetric and you can write something like descriptor object
responcible for particular class mapping. Most probably it will be limited
comared to boost::serialization library but clean and multipurpose.

Well ... there was no positive answer yet. Most probably "structured streams"
and ORM is poor idea or just wrong thing for boost.

regards,
bohdan