From: Ani Taggu (ataggu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-24 03:40:08

Not sure if this point is within the scope of current socket design:

Should the functionality be a very thin wrapper over the OS calls only?

E.g, in win32, blocking sockets especially within a GUI application behaves
erratically. A common way is to use to use non-blocking sockets and use
timed operations.

On UNIX however, blocking sockets are the norm.

So, in my homegrown socket library (similar to some extent with the current
design), the sockets which are accepted and connected are by default
non-blocking.

Of course then, send/recv become slightly more complex -- in that it has to
implement more logic to handle timed operations.

My $0.02,

-Ani