From: Remy Blank (remy.blank_REMOVE_THIS_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-25 04:52:42

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 18:22:59 -0500, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Remy Blank <remy.blank_REMOVE_THIS_at_[hidden]> writes:
> > That was the goal of the library I am trying to develop.
>
> I'm trying to imagine what you have in mind. How could this library be
> used? Why would one use your library vs., for example, Boost.Python?

I would like to develop a metaclass and reflection framework.
Intended use: serialization, distant object invocation, integration with
other languages.

I would like to expose the following information using a "describe" scheme:
 - Inheritance information
 - Class attributes
 - Member functions

Attributes should be accessed either by pointer to member, or using getter
and setter member functions. I imagine a functionality quite close to
Delphi's "published properties and methods".

And obviously I would like to:
 - instantiate objects of specific classes
 - iterate through the attributes of an object
 - access and modify objects through their attributes
 - invoke member functions, from C++ but also from other languages

I'm really only at the very beginning of this project, so I'm currently
searching for information and previous work on the subject. Boost.Python
seemed to already provide lots of functionality in this direction, but
as you wrote, accessible from Python.

BTW, if anybody has feedback about what a metaclass and reflection framework
should provide to be usable, please feel free to comment.

Best regards.
--Remy

Remove anti-spam sequence in reply address for a timely response.