From: Hugo Duncan (hugoduncan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-25 18:49:24

There seems to be support for independent resolution, proposed as a
getaddrinfo wrapper for hostname+service resolution, or by Michel's
ip_resolver class for hostname resolution.
Which other protocols can use name resolution?

There is also a strong push for unified ip4, ip6 address class.
Michel has made a very good ip_address proposal.

Do we need 3 ip address classes or just the final one ?
 * an ip4 address class,
 * an ip6 address class,
 * a combined ip4/ip6 address class.

Michel has also proposed changing the address concept to add a to_str()
representation of an address, and return the representation
through:
  std::pair<void*,unsigned> representaion();

Michel Andre and another (anonymous as far as I can tell) poster have
commented on addressing at:
http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?BoostSocket/AddressConcept

Boris Schaeling also commented in