From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-26 00:55:21

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:08:32 +0300
> [...]
> a) a libray gets accepted to boost.
> b) some time after, someone comes up with a next great improvement
> c) so he tries to convince the original author to roll in the new
> feature but the original author isn't convinced.
> d) but the library isn't doesn't belong to Robert Ramey anymore:
> it belongs to boost.

Technically, no. Most libraries remain the property of the author, as I
understand it. However, Boost requires that the author provide a license
that allows for modification.

> So you make your new improved version and submit it to the formal
> review process (presumably as it would be an incremental change it
> wouldn't be as excruciating as what I've been going through.)

Many times, small changes are simply implemented by the author directly,
with no formal review. I would imagine that a major revision would be
commented on by the Boost community, but I'm not aware of any already-
accepted library being re-reviewed due to major changes (though I'm sure
this is a possibility).

> e) the finally things get resolved more or less as they get resolved now.
> f) if the boost systems decides to role in the new changes
> thats it. If I'm really unhappy - well I still have my pristine copy.

Well, since you are the author, unless you revoke your copyright by placing
it in the public domain, or giving it to someone else, you have the final
say
in what happens to the library. What you can't do is prevent someone from
making a new version of your library based on the features they want, since
the license requirements allow for this possibility.

> Once I give it to boost, its not really mine anymore. I recognize that
this
> is how it has to be.
> [...]

I don't see any reason why you would give up your copyright. You simply
need to have a conforming license. My understanding is that Boost
recognizes and values the contribution of library authors, and works to
protect their donation to the community by requiring a clearly stated
copyright/license in submitted libraries.

On the other hand, if you don't wish to continue developing the library,
there
is nothing stopping you from letting someone else take it over and make
changes.

Dave