From: Darryl Green (Darryl.Green_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-26 19:26:49

> From: Boris Schäling [mailto:boris_at_[hidden]]
> > From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden]
> > [mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]]On Behalf Of Hugo Duncan
> > [...]
> > * a multiplexing library should cope with:
> > files,
>
> How should files be supported by a multiplexing library? In Unix/Linux
> file
> access never blocks? The man page of select() says: "File descriptors
> associated with regular files always select true for ready to read, ready
> write, and error conditions."

Note man says "regular files" - there are lots of interesting special files that don't always report ready - I/O devices, pipes etc. Also, I think it would be a bad idea to assume that select is the be all and end all of how the socket/file/whatever ready to handler dispatching can be implemented. It ought to be possible to replace a select based dispatcher with one based on async I/O or some other exotic scheme.

Regards
Darryl