From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-29 17:49:54

> [...]
> When neccessary. It's not as though a "strong guarantee assignment"
> is a fundamental operation which people often need.

Which is why the swap idiom assign perhaps shouldn't be the default
implementation.

> [...]
> Which type trait name?

is_base_and_derived<>. I see that's the actual name. I wasn't sure,
because I recalled there being some debate about the name, and didn't
know if it had changed until I looked it up in the docs.

> > I just added that in for safety.
>
> Added what?

The static assert.

> [...]
> Don't you want the static assertion in the constructor or in the class
> body itself?

I guess that makes sense. I obviously didn't think about it too much.

> [...]
> I'm not sure it's useful enough to warrant putting it in
> utility.hpp.

Fair enough.

> Also I have concerns about the name "assign()", since
> that is used in the standard library to mean something
> slightly different.

I don't recall seeing this. Where is it used?

Dave