From: Terje Slettebø (tslettebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-30 15:11:10

>From: "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>

> Terje Slettebø <tslettebo_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> >>From: "David B. Held" <dheld_at_[hidden]>
> >
> >> "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> >> In this case, I suspect PC == Politically Correct. However, when
talking
> >> about a specific individual, and not an anonymous person, I think it is
> >> quite
> >> appropriate to use the correct gender, if it is known. I suspect
Victor
> >> would object to someone calling him a "her", and then ascribing any
> >> corrections to political correctness. ;)
> >
> > I'm reminded of when Aleksey said (regarding the MPL paper, which uses
> > "she"), that "MPL user is "she" ". I was tempted to say "Name one." :)
>
> ...which might, after all, be a good reason to use "she". I know of a
> few female users of metaprogramming tools, but only a few. Engineering
> departments, conferences, seminars and newsgroups filled only with men
> do tend to get boring, don't you think? An argument can be made that
> using "he" everywhere makes the field less-welcoming to women. If I
> can do some small part to counteract that, so much the better.

Sure, by all means.

When reading docs, it doesn't matter to me if "he" or "she" is used, as long
as it's used consistently (which is the case here). If "he" is used one
place, and just after, "she" is used (or vice versa), it does tend to stop
me up and wonder if they are talking about two people, or one.

> Furthermore, since we were discussing looking for this person, it's
> always possible that one of us knows a Christine Green in the field
> who might have been overlooked had I not pointed out the possibility
> that (s)he could be a woman.
>
> Finally, I'd feel pretty foolish if I had gone along presuming that
> "C. Green" was a man and she turned out to be a woman. So I was just
> practicing a little CYA in case things turned out differently than I
> expected.

I think that was fine.

Regards,

Terje