From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-13 09:27:35

In private email, Pavel Vozenilek has made an interesting suggestion:

> Maybe there should be separate
> library providing convenience operations over filesystem.
>
> The library can be initially void with people adding
> what is itching them.
>
> Such an library would not pretend great design, structure
> or fits-all, it could be simply growing collection
> of small independent routines one may or may not use.

It seems to me this is worthwhile. Rather than a separate library, I'd
suggest a separate header, docs page, and test program within the
filesystem structure. Say, <boost/filesystem/convenience.hpp>, etc.

An example Pavel gave would be a "read_file_contents_to_string()" function.
I've needed such a function myself, but wouldn't want to clutter up the
other filesystem headers and docs with it. Yet it would be great to have
it available somewhere.

Thoughts?

--Beman