From: Peter Simons (simons_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-28 09:05:00

Joel de Guzman writes:

> Can you suggest a practical solution?

Not really. "Import"ing the sources from the main CVS repository into
the copy at boost.org is the only suitable solution, really. Doing the
"import" will probably work just fine in 99% of the cases, and in
those where it does not, someone will have to resolve the problems
manually. There's not much we can do about that, if we'd like to keep
the repositories separated.

Another approach would be to have _one_ repository, probably at
boost.org in this case, and to use separate branches for "current"
development and for the main tree. Merging from one branch to another
is simpler and more reliable within CVS. Although effectively, the
problems are pretty much the same.

We could simplify things by asserting that all commits occur _only_ in
the main repository through a commit filter. (That's what I do with my
mirrored CVS trees.) Whether that's a suitable solution or not is a
political question, though. :-)

        -peter