From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-30 13:37:02

Kevlin Henney wrote:

>>This is the philosophy that Kevlin and I agreed on when lexical_cast
>>was first introduced. However, I don't think it has stood the test of
>>time with real users, and it would be stupid to ignore that. I

Agreed. I see the problem, I am just unsure with regard to the solution.

>>suspect Kevlin feels the same way about it, which is why he has agreed
>>to review the changes in the Files area.
>

> Apologies for delays. Yes, I have to review Terje's changes and am
> guilty of not having applied myself to that task yet. In terms of the
> philosophy of the design, I think it would be reasonable to say that
> intuitive stream-based conversion is the aim, which is compatible with
> fixing whitespace issues.

One more argument. lexical_cast may be able to provide intuitive
conversion for all std string types, but it will likely brake again for
custom string types. Even if the custom type has exactly the same
interface and semantics as std::string lexical_cast will break.

naggingly yours

Thomas

--
Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Witt
Institut fuer Verkehrswesen, Eisenbahnbau und -betrieb, Universitaet