From: Ronald Garcia (garcia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-31 13:09:21

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> Helmut Zeisel submitted an unlimited integer library 3 July 2001,
> big_int_20010821.zip
>
> and more recently Roland Garcia submitted bigint.zip, which works to compute
> factorial
> using MCVS 7.0 with trivial changes.
>
> big integers are an important library item. Is there any plans and/or update on
> these?
> Is a Formal review envisaged?

Hi Paul,

I wrote bigint just before my semester of school began. As a result,
I've been too swamped to revisit the issue. I looked at Helmut's
rendition, and I believe that some combination of our interfaces would be
ideal. I prefer a non-template solution for a bigint class, and I would
like to eventually add more of Helmut's convenience functions to my
interface, which is quite minimal. Eventually it would be wise to see how
well this interface fits over current high-performance implementations of
arbitrary magnitude integers such as GMP. The current implementation is
quite naive since I was more focused on designing the interface at the
time. Further work in that regard could result in a very useful class.

If you send me your patches, I can merge them into the sandbox.

ron