From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-09 13:07:36

"Fanta, Richard" <Richard.Fanta_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Hiya,
>
> Compiling Boost with MinGW has produced .obj and .lib files in directories
> such as
> boost_1_29_0\libs\date_time\build\bin\libboost_date_time.lib\mingw\debug\run
> time-link-dynamic (when run on a Win2k PC). e.g. libboost_date_time.lib,
> gregorian_types.obj, etc. This happens for all Boost libs projects when
> compiling with "bjam -sTOOLS=mingw -sBUILD='debug release'.
>
> Two things seem wrong with this picture:
> a) .lib is not dynamic but static

What's wrong with that? If you don't get a DLL, it means the
date_time library doesn't supply one (perhaps for good reasons).

> b) .lib and .obj files would seem to be in Microsoft .COFF format, rather
> than the .a and .o GNU formats.

The extensions used by Boost.Build are currently determined by the OS
on which bjam was built. However, Boost.Build doesn't do anything
special to set the output format of the tools; these files should be
in whatever format MinGW produces by default. You can either change
the extensions on the files, or force Boost.Build to use different
extensions by passing

           -sSUFLIB=.a -sSUFOBJ=.o

on the command-line.

> Hence, I'm unable to link the bjam produced libs from a separate
> application of mine that uses simple Makefiles and MinGW/MSYS
> provided (Gnu) compilers (which produce .o and .a files, etc).

That really surprises me. I think it's just a naming issue, not a
format issue.

--
                       David Abrahams