From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-09 13:21:45

> From: "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
> From: "William E. Kempf" <wekempf_at_[hidden]>
> > > From: "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
> > >
> > > I think that a reasonable requirement that we already mentioned several
> > > times is that the ID should be CopyConstructible, Assignable and
> > > LessThanComparable, for use in sets/maps.
> >
> > This misses the need for outputting in diagnostic messages, for one thing.
>
> No, this is an additional requirement that you missed; you already had the
> output requirement in place.

There's a bit of confusion here. I'm referring to the proposed design (and implementation in the thread_dev branch), not to the current boost::thread. The proposed design is already CopyConstructible. (It should have been assignable as well... chalk that up to a stupid oversight on my part.) I did miss the need for LessThanComparable (or equivalent utility). I didn't miss the need for output in my description, though it's not in the proposed interface.

> > And all of this can be supplied directly by boost::thread with no need for
> > boost::thead::id.
>
> Just to clarify, do you mean
>
> std::map<boost::thread *, int, dereferenced_compare> map;
>
> ?

With the proposed boost::thread (with a few additional tweaks), yes.

> boost::thread itself is not copyable, so it can't be a key.
>
> How would this work?

I was not trying to claim that the current boost::thread in the latest release fullfilled any of the needs.

What I'm trying to nail down are all of the requirements for a thread "ID", and whethor or not boost::thread itself can meet those needs with out the addition of another type.

William E. Kempf
wekempf_at_[hidden]