From: Vincent Finn (vincent_finn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-10 06:22:23

Joel de Guzman wrote:
>>"Vincent Finn" <vincent_finn_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I assume this is the right place to post questions on Spirit now that it
>>>is part of boost!
>>>If not here, where?
>>

> There's a Spirit specific mailing list that you can subscribe to here:
> This mailing list is also mirrored in gmane NTTP portal :

I had a look at the mailing list but it comes up as read-only for me for
some reason?
I am logged in to Source Forge but haven't used it much

as for the news group I subscribed to it (it appears in the list of
available news groups) but when I try to access it I'm told it doesn't
exist on the server ??

>>>I have added 2 parsers to my code base and the compile time (VC6) has
>>>gone from 10 mins to 30mins :-(
>>
> Yes, this is the next battle. How big are your grammars? How many productions?
> Are you using subrules? Better yet, can I see your code?

I can send a stripped down code (it'll take a while to put it together
so it'll be next week some time)
3 question on that
1) Would you prefer a direct mail with it or an atachment to the NG?
2) Do you need tgz or is zip fine?
3) Is a VC project file fine to show the compile setting I am using?

> It would be nice if you can send me a snapshot of your grammars (if possible)
> with a short main() driver code that invokes the parser(s). I'll also need some
> more info such as: processor speed and available memory as well as your
> command line parameters. This will give me some clues on where the
> compiler is choking.

I'm running a P3 866, 512M Ram, NT4 SP6

This is another developers code but I made the call to use Spirit so I
have to do the optimising !
so please bear with me if it takes a while for me to split it off :(

> At the very least, yes, you can separate the parsers from the project.
> How about writing some wrappers that *hides* the grammars in
> *.cpp files? You can for example have an opaque API in a header
> such as:
>
> bool parse(char const* source);

That seems obvious now that you say it
I was thinking in terms of spliting spirit off which causes problems but
, as you say, all I need is to build a lib with my parser in so that
spirit is hidden.

        Thanks for the quick response, Vin