From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-10 17:15:10

> From: Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
> At 11:18 AM 1/10/2003, William E. Kempf wrote:
> >> From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>

> >> I will weigh in here with one strong opinion: producing localized
> >> error messages should not be the job of the exception object or the
> >> code which throws it. Error message formatting and localization
> >> should happen after exceptions are caught.
> >
> >Full agreement. But what (if anything) must the exception object
> >provide in order for the exception handlers to be able to format
> >a localized message?
>
> Peter Dimov and I went back and forth about this for the filesystem library
> and decided:
>
> ... what() // from std::runtime_error. Implementation provides
> // a very explicit message, including who(), path1(),
> // path2(), and message reported by O/S (which is
> // subject to locale on some O/S's.
>
> int native_error() const;
> // a return of 0 implies a library (rather than system) error
>
> error_code error() const; // filesystem defined error code
>
> const std::string & who() const; // name of func throwing exception
>
> const path & path1() const; // argument 1 to func; may be empty()
> const path & path2() const; // argument 2 to func; may be empty()
>
> That's pretty heavyweight, but each function has important uses.

This description brings a better understanding than what I had previously, but doesn't fill in all the gaps.

What's the purpose of a non-native error code? For that matter, if what() includes a translated message for the error code, what purpose is there for the native error code?

> For Boost.Threads, path1() and path2() obviously don't apply, but I
> wouldn't be surprised if a string identifying the thread in some way wasn't
> a possible need.

The thread will always be the current thread, so there's no need to carry that payload.

William E. Kempf
wekempf_at_[hidden]