From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-14 12:19:55

Despite not being a C++ subject, I think this is an important topic
for the subscribers of this list (and for that matters, of any list).
It happens often that subject lines are screwed up in various ways and
that therefore, at the mail/news reader side, each post goes into its
own "thread" making it difficult to follow discussions. Usually it
just happens that, with each reply, the subject is slightly changed in
the combination of white-spaces but also there are cases of HTML-ish
stuff like & creeping up, as it is happening in the thread about
the next revision of boost::thread (no pun intended). Now I don't know
whether it's a problem on the senders' clients part, or on the
server's part. Also I don't know how to avoid it. What do you do in
such cases?

Obviously one could set up his/her newsreader to base threading upon
"references" rather than on subject lines, but this has other problems
too I think. Maybe a set of posting guidelines is in order? What's
your opinion?

Genny.