From: Jessie R. Hernandez (jessie_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-15 00:14:36

        I have also recently joined this list and have lurked for some time,
mainly to see if there was a socket library being developed.

        I saw several socket libraries in the Files section, but none of them
were what I was looking for (I didn't want just a TCP socket library; I
basically wanted a stream layer on top of the Windows/Unix/Linux socket
functions). So I secretly began developing my own socket library which
models the existing stream classes, such as basic_fstream (as I envision
it would actually be incorporated into the standard, if that ever
happens).

        Since the socket library topic has been brought up again, I have
released my current code so that interested members can comment on it
(note that it is far from complete, but it is in a fairly useful state).
You download the library at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/socketstream/ . Note that this
folder named "socketstream" does not contain an underscore, as another
folder does.

        I have tested the code under Visual C++ 6 (W2K) and GCC 3.2.1 (Red Hat
Linux 8.0). To test it, you need to compile test.cpp and run it (it'll
print out the index page of Google). I will add more documentation and
code as I have time (normally every 1-2 days). Hopefully, I'll provide
server sockets and socket options (getsockopt/setsockopt) soon.

        If you are interested, please comment on it. I would especially like to
know if the benefits of an Acceptor/Connector pattern would outweigh the
additional complexity involved (specifically, how much more complicated
the sample test.cpp file would get). Thanks!

Best regards,

Jessie Hernandez