From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-18 10:02:06

From: "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>

> I think Peter also values the fact that boost::shared_ptr has few
> dependencies on other boost code, a problem I don't see such an easy
> way out of.

That's definitely important since so much other Boost code depends on it.

But let's assume for the sake of argument that this is not an issue. And
let's assume that I need to implement the Boost smart pointers from scratch.

I need to decide whether to use a policy-based smart pointer framework, or
to resort to the old school low tech method. What should I decide, and what
factors need to be considered? Should I go the framework way if it makes my
task more difficult?

And, considering that there is no policy-based smart pointer framework in
Boost, should I design and implement one? Will this be a win in the long
run? (*) Or perhaps I should take an existing framework, fill in the missing
pieces, resolve any issues, and prepare a formal proposal?

My answer has been, and still is, "no". It is a simple cost/benefit
analysis, no ideology or psychology involved.

--
(*) For me, not for the humanity in general. That's what pragmatic
programming is about, solving the problem with the minimum amount of effort.