From: David A. Greene (greened_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-21 01:21:39

Vladimir Prus wrote:

>> I have one policy that I forgot to mention: chain_lookup_policy. It's
>> work
>> is based on Chain of responcibilities Design pattern. In this case Every
>> parameter knows how to parse itelf out of input. And this
>> identification may
>> not be the name at all.
>
> I would say that it's a big question how much flexibility is needed. My
> position is that the command line should not go beyond existing styles.
> Can you suggest some style which require chain_lookup_policy and still
> legible for users?

If I understand what Gennadiy is saying, then I have a possible example.
Our compiler has options that look something like this:

-fcopyPropagation={--maxTransforms=32 --keepStats}

Nobody but the CopyPropagation module should care about what's in
the braces. "-f" knows enough to parse a filter name ("copyPropagation"
in this case). These constructs can be arbitrarily nested. One of our
modules goes three deep, IIRC.

                              -Dave

--
"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
  and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson