From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-25 06:20:29

Michel André said:
> Hello!
>
> Any chance of an additon of David Moores thread pool implementation to
> boost.threads to the next release or another implementation of some kind
> of thread pool concept.

Depends on the time frame of the next release and how fast I can finish my
work on the library. If it's not in 1.30.0, it will be in 1.31.0. In the
mean time, if it's important enough to you, you can track the work in
progress in the "thread_dev" branch in CVS.

> Also some kind of alarm or timer would be
> useful.

Not something in the todo hopper. Can you give a more concrete
explanation of what you want, and why you think it's important for
inclusion.

> Or how does the priority and wishlish for boost.threads look
> like.

Right now, most of the work is being done on boost::thread itself. This
includes a reference-counted implementation instead of a non-copyable
implementation, the addition of attributes such as stack size/address and
priority scheduling and the addition of cancellation. I'm getting close
to completion of the design/implementation and will be asking for a peer
review soon.

Other things on the list:

* Final integration of Dave Moore's classes, including thread_pool,
rw_mutex and barrier.

* Addition of some synchronization helper constructs, both intrusive and
non. I've got general ideas and goals for this, but nothing concrete to
share yet.

* Addition of attibutes for other classes, such as process shared for
mutex, condition, etc. All POSIX attributes will be included.

* Addition of shared memory constructs.

> I guess cancellation is at the top but it may be the hardest nut
> to crack of them all.

Definately going to be difficult to implement this the way we want, though
the design is simple at this point.

William E. Kempf
wekempf_at_[hidden]