From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-25 05:50:56

Maybe this is a useful info: I've noticed some people just copy&paste
groups.google addresses when giving references to threads. Well, maybe
that's just laziness; if not that, it can be useful to know that much
of the information in the url is actually not strictly necessary: e.g.
given

>http://groups.google.com/groups?q=is_abstract_class&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UT
>F-8&selm=df893da6.0207110613.75b2fe90%40posting.google.com&rnum=1).

you can cut off everything after ? except the message ID (selm or
threadm parameter):

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=df893da6.0207110613.75b2fe90%40posting.google.com

Of course you can avoid "http://" too, and if that's still too long to
fit in one line you can even put it in the form

google.com/groups?selm=df893da6.0207110613.75b2fe90%40posting.google.com

which makes it generally short enough (though not in this case :-))
It's obvious that this are just things I've noticed by experimenting
so it's always better checking whether the link does work after all
the pruning :-)

Genny.