From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-28 15:31:10

"Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> [...]
> For a shared-ownership smart pointer with weak_ptr support, I expect
> some people will say that mandates a refcounted rather than reflinked
> implementation. I don't think that is true, but it may make a reflinked
> implementation less attractive. What's your opinion on that?

I was looking through Peter's GC code, and I see that he builds a
map of pointers. I was wondering if a ref-linked implementation
would make the scan process faster. You could maintain a map of
pointers that would constitute your root set? Then instead of
scanning raw memory, just scan the ref-links? Maybe that's what
Andrei was referring to by the "shared global map approach".
Anyway, it doesn't seem any worse off than a raw scan.

Dave