From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-30 05:04:37

Gennaro Prota <gennaro_prota_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:57:19 -0500, David Abrahams
> <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>>In one of his usual shows of responsiveness, Lars has fixed a bug in
>>Gmane that would prevent the "thread view" link at the bottom of a
>>message from working because our message archive is too big.
>>
>>See http://news.gmane.org/thread.php?group=gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel
>

> Are you sure that it works? I've tried it from here:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/11740/
>
> and it then just shows 4 (!) messages in a thread that had at least
> 30.

That's better than zero, which is what was happening before.
Try from here to see more in a different thread:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/15386.

And here to see more in the same thread:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/11744

> Initially I thought this could have been a (different) bug due to
> subject screwing (because some messages have subject:
>
> Re: Copy Constructible Concept
>
> and some others
>
> Re: Re: Copy Constructible Concept
>
> ) but I have seen that it doesn't even show all the messages with the
> first subject. So I don't know what the problem can be (it could still
> be related to subject variability though).

No, it doesn't use subject contents. Threading is based on message
references embedded in the email headers. Sometimes that gets screwed
up, and Gmane can't follow the whole thread. I think that's what
happened in your case.

--
                       David Abrahams