From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-03 01:53:54

Hi Emily,

>>ghost> I think the best approach would be to make this concept explicit, and
>>ghost> independent from BGL. Something like
>>ghost>
>>ghost> type_indexed_container<
>>ghost> mpl::list<
>>ghost> pair<vertex_name_t, int >,
>>ghost> pair<vertex_distance_t, int> > > c;
>>ghost> c[vertex_name_t()] = 10;
>>ghost> I wonder if something like this already exists... I vaguely recall
>>ghost> someone was doing that.
>>
>>Yes, Emily Winch was working on this, and I thought she was going to
>>submit to boost. The following URL has a paper she wrote about this.
>>
>>http://www.oonumerics.org/tmpw01/schedule.html
>

> I would be very happy to submit it to boost, and several people have
> suggested this. I think it would be a mistake to submit it for a formal
> review without any prior discussion.
>
> I have mentioned this a couple of times now, and the lack of feedback
> led me to think that nobody was particularly interested in it. That's
> easy to believe, since when I wrote the paper it was really more from a
> "hey, this is cool" perspective than "hey, this would be really useful".
>
> However, people keep asking about it, or suggesting similar ideas, which
> suggests that there is some interest.
>
> So, I have a question: Why no feedback?

Personally, I did not really notice your announcements. Some time ago
I wanted a dynamic type-indexed container, in which you specify the
required type, and it's either returned, or created. After quite look
on some email of yours I decided it's something different and stopped reading.

Now I think that using associative_list in BGL is desirable.

(BTW, looks like with a little tweak I can achive the desired
on-demand creation using your library, too).

> a) The library is not something that people think makes sense in Boost.
> b) The library uses the wrong approach to the problem and someone should
> submit something else.
> c) The library is not something that anyone would really use. (Hey,
> Jeremy. I'm sure you said you would use it).

Did Jeremy say that? It would be great!

> d) People think it's a great idea but just never got round to having a
> look or making any comments.

So true! However, I'll do my best to look at your library in detail during
this week.

- Volodya