From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-03 17:59:11

"Philippe A. Bouchard" <philippeb_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> 1)
> I have rewritten the "Rationale" section of shifted_ptr<> in file
> /shifted_ptr/doc/structboost_1_1shifted__ptr.html:

It took me a while to find the Rationale section. If you look at most
other Boost libraries, you'll see that the documentation has a very
specific layout. The first page of your documentation is not very
helpful, and finding things like the rationale or overview is needlessly
difficult. Instead of making the generated docs the focus of your
documentation, maybe you should take the time to make the main
part of your docs look like other Boost libraries.

> 2)
> I have taken a look at some garbage collector routines and they all
> use placement operator new (). The best way to start sharing those
> objects between different smart pointer types would simply be to
> use parallel heaps, until a new C++ syntax takes the lead.

You could try to write the managed constructor that Dave A. talked
about, where it forwards arguments to new:

my_ptr<T> p = special_new<T>(a, b, c);

Not only would it hide placement new, it could be useful for other
pointers as well.

Dave