From: Pavel Vasiliev (pavel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-04 10:32:57

>>I would like to offer for discussion one more implementation of reference
> counting smart pointer.<
> [snip]

> Howgh!

> Andrei

:-) In general, I agree with you. 1024-th smart pointer is 1023-rd
wheel reinvented. But The Best Wheel is still to be found.

Nevertheless, thanks for reply, even for the such one.

---
refc_ptr<T> is not a science-intensive implementation like
Loki::SmartPtr<>. It rather oriented to practical needs.
The following syntax is employed:
refc_ptr<U> spU = new shell_xx<U>(args);
where shell_xx<T> is one of "reference counting shells for objects of
type T". With some "shells" refc_ptr<T> is the same as
boost::shared_ptr<T>/weak_ptr<T>, with others - is similar to
boost::intrusive_ptr<T>, or to shifted_ptr<T>, etc. All with the only
class refc_ptr<T>; all types of reference counting are almost
transparent for a client.
Pavel