From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-10 14:28:18

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:18:11 -0000, "Gustavo Guerra" <gmcg_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>I would like to propose the addition of a new config macro to Boost.Config:
>BOOST_USING_OLD_STYLE_IOSTREAMS
>
>A (possibly incomplete) implementation is:
>#if defined(__GNUC__) && (__GNUC__ < 3) && !defined(__STL_USE_NEW_IOSTREAMS)
> || defined(_MSC_VER) && (_MSC_VER < 1300)
> #define BOOST_USING_OLD_STYLE_IOSTREAMS
>#endif

Yup, I find this one hard to be accepted though, since the old
iostreams are not only non standard but, differently from e.g. long
long, doomed to obsolescence. Anyway, you can't base the test on the
compiler because that's something that depends on the library (I'm
talking, as natural here, about existing implementations; of course to
the standard there would be no such distinction). We have something
like that, called BOOST_OLD_IOSTREAMS, for dynamic_bitset:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/boost-sandbox/boost-sandbox/boost/dynamic_bitset.hpp

However, as the comments say, the test is specifically addressed to
pre 3.0 versions of libstdc++, which is what I wanted to support
(after that Phil Edwards explained me what versions of the library
actually needed support :-)).

Genny.