From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-12 11:57:30

At 12:48 PM 2/6/2003, Dave Abrahams wrote:

>> It looks like the intel compiler still supports long long when used
with
>> the -ansi option. I searched around for good specs, but could find no
>> definitive outline of what other restrictions it adds. So at least as
far
>> as long long is concerned, it's good to go.
>
>OK, thanks. Why don't you:
>
>a. make a copy of the current regression results for Intel
>b. modify the toolset to add -ansi
>c. compare the results and see if any new errors crop up which shouldn't
be
>there.
>
>??
>
>If all of that works out, you can check in the toolset mod.

I gave it a try, and got this message:

icl: warning: option '-Qansi' is deprecated; use '-Qansi_alias' instead

I tried again, with -Qansi_alias, with no changes whatsoever in the test
results.

I've gone ahead and committed the change to CVS, but wonder if this is
really the option Ron wanted?. Intel's docs say:

>-Qansi_alias directs the compiler to assume the following:
>Arrays are not accessed out of bounds.
>
>Pointers are not cast to non-pointer types, and vice-versa.
>
>References to objects of two different scalar types cannot alias. For
>example, an object of type int cannot alias with an object of type float,
>or an object of type float cannot alias with an object of type double.
>
>If your program satisfies the above conditions, setting the -Qansi_alias
>flag will help the compiler better optimize the program. However, if your

>program does not satisfy one of the above conditions, the -Qansi_alias
flag
>may lead the compiler to generate incorrect code.

--Beman