From: Brian Gray (briangray_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-14 12:36:02

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 09:12 AM, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Brian Gray wrote:
>>
>> At the very end of it, network programmers should be using a
>> callback-driven interface and not have to worry about multiplexing at
>> all, but I agree that for now a third layer should be deferred until
>> the basic groundwork has been laid out.
>
> Sometimes it pays to design the highest level first, and then ask: what
> lower level components do we need to get here?

Normally I'd agree, but I guess I have this vision that the 2nd tier
we're talking about would be a fully-usable, platform-independent API
for those developers who wish to code at a lower level, and then the
3rd tier would be a simpler -- but with a more advanced design --
model. So they both need designing, with different purposes. Tier 2
needs to be powerful enough that anything may be coded using it,
including new network protocols. Tier 3 needs to be suitable for all
but the most advanced purposes, gaining in design what it gives up in
power.

I lean this way because I spend so much of my time doing very low-level
things, and C/C++ is the only language that allows me the flexibility
to do what I want. The thought of designing a boost library that makes
the same sacrifices that Java made is a real downer. I see the need
for a good OO design, but I'd also like raw access to low-level
structures in a platform-independent manner. Which is why I don't
simply suggest that people like me use Sockets. They don't exist on
all platforms.

  -- Brian