From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-16 09:20:03

"John Maddock" <john_maddock_at_[hidden]> writes:

> I've been trying to build the thread test programs from status/Jamfile, but
> they all fail to link because they can't find libboost_thread: I think the
> problem may be that cygwin gcc can't link to an .so file directly but need
> an .a file to be generated as well?

Cygwin GCC can use either the Unix model of linking directly to a
shared library or the Windows model of using an import library.
However, the suffix of Cygwin shared libraries must be ".dll", not
".so"

A Win32 build of bjam has no problem at all linking cygwin shared
libraries. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a cygwin build of bjam
acts as though it is running on Unix and takes inapprorpiate steps,
though. You might try, as a quick test, running bjam with
"-sSUFDLL=.dll" to see if that clears things up. If it does, the
Boost.Build patch for Cygwin will be trivial.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting