From: Hubert Holin (Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-17 07:35:29

Somewhere in the E.U., le 17/02/2003

In article <AHEJIHEOOOBMJPAGPLIPKEPMDKAA.boost_at_[hidden]>,
 "Paul A. Bristow" <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]

      Yes, on that front we should be safe, but then IANAL...

> > I am hoping that with uBlas, we can contribute more numerical
> > stuff. I have some Gaussian Mixture Models code that I should be
> > rewriting in the not too distant future (currently based on an old
> > version of TNT, and most of the important pre-processing needed has to
> > be done elsewhere, for the then lack of svd).
>
> This would be a most welcome developement. uBLAS seems a good starting point.
>
> > My old files provide number_of_samples , max, min,
> > first_max_index, first_min_index, mean, median, variance,
> > standard_deviation, average_deviation, skewness and kurtosis for
> > sequences (where appropriate), number_of_bins, mass, first_mode_value,
> > first_mode, mean, median, variance, standard_deviation,
> > average_deviation, skewness and kurtosis for deensities (where
> > appropriate).
>
> Sounds a pretty good selection.

      I'll uplaod my old file in a moment, for inspirational input, and
make a note in the Wiki, if I can get that to work.

> > > Finally, there is the unsolved matter of the math functions we still
> > > badly
> > > need.
> >
> > Err, I kind of forgot which ones where requested...
>
> Well all the items in Stephen Moshier's Cephes collection say. erf, gamma,
> beta, imcomplete, gaussian etc etc. However, we didn't seem to get far with
> agreeing the format for these. My naive assumption that double erf(double)
> style functions would be enough was criticised by those who wanted fancier
> solutions,
> some far fancier.

      I either forgot or missed that thread (I lost quite a bit of data
and hence memory during my OS upgrade, thanks to a faulty ftp
server...). Would you have a pointer handy?

> In my view getting this far would be a major step forward. There are major
> problems in accuracy even at double, let alone long double.
>
> There was also talk of an NIST project but I haven't heard of any progress
> yet.

      I just checked the DLMf website (http://dlmf.nist.gov/), and it seems
they are moving forward albeit slowly (book and free web document in
2004). At any rate, that document will not, as I understand, include
actual implementation in a computer language of the functions & al., so
we should just go ahead and code, perhaps using existing fortran
implementations as guidelines (though obviously having the document
would make the coding *MUCH* easier :-) ).

> Paul

Hubert