From: Douglas Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-17 14:00:46

On Monday 17 February 2003 11:21 am, Beman Dawes wrote:
> Ouch! That means the current HTML docs for these libraries aren't available
> to Boosters who depend on CVS to keep up-to-date,

They're always available here, regenerated nightly in HTML, DocBook, FO, PDF,
and man pages:
  http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~gregod/boost/doc/html/libraries.html

> or to the inspect
> program, or any other operations that depends on the CVS tree including an
> exact representation of what a release would look like.

I just ran inspect without any doc/ subdirectory. You'll see broken links from
the forwarding HTML to $(BOOST_ROOT)/doc/html.

Extract http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~gregod/boost/doc/boost-doc-html.tar.gz into
$(BOOST_ROOT) and you'll have a full release.

> I think you need to develop a procedure so that a documentation change is
> reflected in the CVS doc/html files right away.

We don't want to stick all of the generated HTML into CVS (too big).
Documentation changes will show up the next morning at the aforementioned
site. I'd like to add a link to this generated documentation on the main page
(so it is obvious that both the current release documentation and the current
CVS documentation are available on-line). Then the top-level site would look
like this:
  http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~gregod/boost/index.htm

> Another effect of that change was to break all links to these docs from
> other Boost libraries. We won't even mention links from other web sites.

They will only break if the links try to link inside the documentation files,
e.g., to a specific anchor. Links that go directly to the library's entry
point (index.html) will find the meta-refresh index.html that redirects to
the generated documentation. I've checked with inspect: nothing broke.

        Doug