From: Douglas Paul Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-18 11:49:29

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Beman Dawes wrote:
> At 06:24 PM 2/17/2003, Douglas Gregor wrote:
> >Well, you'll have the doc source on your machine, and can generate
> whatever
> >format you want.
>
> Where is this documented? How long does it take? It there a way to only
> regenerate the files that change, or does the entire Boost docs have to
be
> generated?

Documented here:
  http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~gregod/boost/doc/html/boostbook.html

See the "Getting started" section. Unfortunately, if you don't have a *nix
box or Cywin, don't bother. The Makefile is the easiest way to do things,
because we don't yet have Jam support.

> I'd like to give it a try, but need pointers to docs. I don't even have
an
> XML editor at the moment, let alone any of the other tools.

At a minimum, you'll need an XSLT processor. The aforementioned
documentation has links & binaries for my preferred processor, which is
also available via Cygwin and on many Unix platforms.

> >> Seems like a step backward. We have a simple model now. Click on CVS
> >> "update" (or equivalent in your favorite client) and you get the
latest
> >> version of all files. CVS is the only tool needed.
> >
> >Sure, but we also have documentation that's inconsistent across
> libraries,
> >not indexable, and unavailable in any format other than HTML. Our
current
> >simple model is simple for simple uses, but doesn't extend to any more
> >advanced cases.
>
> A system that is too cumbersome to use isn't really more advanced, it is
> just a mess. We need to make the new system as easy to use as the old
one
> or only the masochists will use it.

Working on it :)

        Doug