From: Kevin Atkinson (kevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-19 00:19:03

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:

> > > 1. Does not Boost.Thread already have locking mechanisms
> >
> > The only thing boost threads offer is #1 on my list, that is "The ability
> > to acquire a lock and release it when the object goes out of scope
> > effectively implemented the "Monitor" concept". Implementing this idea is
> > rather easy and obvious. It is the other things my classes offer that
> > make it interesting. The differences should be obvious.
>
> In any case it should be part of Boost.Thread IMO. You may propose your
> classes as an extension to existent Boost.Thread functionality.

And if I don't you won't even consider it? I am at this point trying to
pitch the general idea, not how it should be integrated into boost. If
people like it I will work on Boost integration.

> > > 2. IMO any locking mechanisms should be implemented in terms of
> smart_ptr
> >
> > This makes absolutely no sense to me, could you please explain your self.
>
> Look on my other post on the topic

In that fashion it makes sense. But the only smart_ptr that will make
any sense is scoped_ptr. Which will only implement idea #1. As I said my
classes offer far more.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org