From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-19 08:11:33

"Gennadiy Rozental" <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > > 1. Does not Boost.Thread already have locking mechanisms
> >
> > The only thing boost threads offer is #1 on my list, that is "The
ability
> > to acquire a lock and release it when the object goes out of scope
> > effectively implemented the "Monitor" concept". Implementing this idea
is
> > rather easy and obvious. It is the other things my classes offer that
> > make it interesting. The differences should be obvious.
>
> In any case it should be part of Boost.Thread IMO. You may propose your
> classes as an extension to existent Boost.Thread functionality.

I think the question that needs to be answered is if locking mechanisms have
any use outside of threading models. If so, a library of locking mechanisms
should be separated from the thread library although the thread library
certainly can use it. If not, then locking functionality should be folded
into the thread library.