From: Phil Nash (phil.nash.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-20 13:17:23

> David Abrahams wrote:
> > "Phil Nash" <phil.nash.lists_at_[hidden]> writes:
> >
> >> Pointers are Resources
> >> Resources are not (all) Pointers.
> >
> > Actually,
> >
> > Pointers *refer to* resources
> > Not all pointers refer to (are) resources
>
> I like word games:
>
> Not all resources are referred to using pointers.

Yes yes, I know I know :-s

> I like the idea of changing smart_ptr to smart_resource, or smart_handle.

Great :-) Although I think "handle" implies a narrower application than
resource (or at least is more open to interpretation). I like "resource"
because it links it more firmly with the RAII concept (not that I am a big
fan of that choice of words....!).

[..]

> Anyway, my point is: I'd be very much in favour of shared_resource OR
> renaming smart_ptr to smart_resource. (where the PBSP is demphasised from
> being smart pointer, to a general smart resource handler)

Thanks for your comments, Sam.

For the record I don't think we should lose the name "smart_ptr" as it is
too important and idiomatic. Rather it should conceptually be a subset of
smart_resource - however the physical relationaship is represented in code.

Regards,

[)o
IhIL..