From: Vincent N. Virgilio (virgilio_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-20 19:44:28

In article <200302191054.10331.ghost_at_[hidden]>, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Vincent N. Virgilio wrote:
>> FYI, xParam (sourceforge) seems to fulfill similar requirements.
>
> I had a brief look at the project before, and looked for another time now.
> Are you sure that project called
> "XParam - General-Purpose Object Serialization Framework for C++"
> has the same requiremens and tools for command line processing?
>
> My opinion is that:
> 1. It primarily aims at clases serialization.
> 2. The command line part is not so powerfull. For example, it has single
> syntax, AFAIKT, does not allow multiple assignment to the same variable, and
> looks like the syntax of, say, list of values, is fixed.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> - Volodya

I am not sure that the requirements are the same. I thought they might
be similar, so threw the reference out there. Take it FWIW.

No, you're not missing anything. Both points about the syntax are
spot-on.

However, xParam's redirection operator '@' (from a file) provides an
alternative to multiple assignment. Initially I was put off by this,
expecting that multiple assigment would be necessary or a just very
convenient. Neither turned out to be the case. Now I'm getting along
easily without it. I use xParam in an application which takes only the
most primitive parameters from the command line. I haven't had to
resort to redirection. Though I might, simply to make the (large)
parameter structures more readable.

Vince Virgilio